The journey with my son and his condition, Sagittal Craniosynostosis.

My son was diagnosed with Sagittal Craniosynostosis Thursday, September 2, 1010, and he had surgery to correct it on Wednesday, September 8th. This is my story, journey, experience...I hope this helps relieve another family, as the Sprik family did for me.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(8) 24-48 hours after surgery


The following day we made good progress.  The catheter was taken out, and I couldn’t have been happier to change his diapers again!  The right side of face started to really swell up.  His right eye was swollen almost shut by Thursday evening.  It was so sad to watch.  It was very difficult for me not to be able to hold my son.  He was on “bed rest” for the first 36+ hours.  I know that it was upsetting to him as well – he didn’t understand why Mommy was just leaning over his crib and not picking him up.  I did everything in my power to make him feel comfortable and safe. I was beyond excited when the nurse came in and said I was able to hold him.  He melted in my arms.  Kellan was such a happy baby!  From that point on you could see a difference in his eyes.  The best way I can describe it is that he felt safe completely safe.   





By now, the left side of his face had swelled up and both eyes were struggling to stay open.  At one point both of them were completely swollen shut.  Kellan needed a second blood transfusion after all, so they began that around 4pm on the third day and it took about 4 hours to complete.





No comments:

Post a Comment