The journey with my son and his condition, Sagittal Craniosynostosis.

My son was diagnosed with Sagittal Craniosynostosis Thursday, September 2, 1010, and he had surgery to correct it on Wednesday, September 8th. This is my story, journey, experience...I hope this helps relieve another family, as the Sprik family did for me.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(7) Surgery Day

We were instructed to be to the hospital by 6am, Kellan was scheduled for surgery at 7:30am.  Kellan had to fast from midnight on, thank God he didn’t wake up in the middle of the night hungry.  By the time we got to the hospital, he was definitely ready to eat, and he let everyone know in the hospital!  It took the nurses about 30 minutes to get us back into a room, once they did, Kellan calmed down and was the sweet boy I know.  He was giggling and smiling at all the nurses.  They weighed him, took some vitals, and then we waited for the anesthesiologist to show.  The gentleman was very kind, he explained exactly what it was he was going to do for Kellan, and he reassured us that he was in good hands.  There were only 2 anesthesiologists in Las Vegas that Dr. Blum would work with when it came to infants, so I trusted that Kellan was in good hands.  Shortly after the anesthesiologist spoke with us, Dr. Blum came by and explained the surgery one more time.  He told us it would take him about an hour to do the surgery, but that it would take the anesthesiologist that long as well, if not longer to actually do his work.  So off they rolled Kellan in his metal crib.






The next four hours were the longest four hours of my life.  You read that right, FOUR hours!  Not 2, not 3, but 4!  I was pacing back and forth and about to bust into every operating room.  Dr. Blum came through the double doors, and I waited for him to speak…it seemed like a lifetime before he opened his mouth.  I couldn’t wait – so I shouted, “is he ok?”  Dr. Blum said he’s doing great!  He’s in the recovery room right now, and will be taken up to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) shortly.  I started to cry, my husband and I couldn’t have been more relieved. 

About 30 minutes went by and a nurse came down and got all of the family to bring up to the PICU.  I wasn’t prepared for what I was about to see.  My husband and I went back first.  Seeing Kellan all bandaged up, and sleeping so soundly broke my heart.  I instantly started crying.  On the other hand, we honestly could already see the difference in his forehead!  It was crazy!  Kellan slept for a few hours after surgery, which was expected.  He woke up here and there when the nurses were poking him, but didn’t even open his eyes.  I definitely was not prepared for the sound of his voice!  When he cried it didn’t even sound like him!  From having the breathing tube down his throat, his cry sounded very dry.  It was heartbreaking!  Thankfully his cry is back to normal.  















 
As the evening went on, he slept, opening his eyes here and there.  Around 3:30am he woke up crying and I was finally able to feed him a bottle for the first time.  He was still being fed through his IV, but as he slowly got his appetite back, I was able to feed him, and he was in turn taken off the IV.

No comments:

Post a Comment