The journey with my son and his condition, Sagittal Craniosynostosis.

My son was diagnosed with Sagittal Craniosynostosis Thursday, September 2, 1010, and he had surgery to correct it on Wednesday, September 8th. This is my story, journey, experience...I hope this helps relieve another family, as the Sprik family did for me.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(2) Switching pediatricians

At 3 months of age, I decided to get a second opinion in regards to my son’s head.  During the last visit that we had with our old pediatrician, he voiced a little concern about his head not taking shape and that we were “running out of time.”  Again, he said he would keep monitoring it, and if it didn’t change over the next few weeks, we would have to “do something about it.”  He never mentioned what “do something about it” would entail nor did he even hint that surgery could be in our future.

After hours of research and speaking to many other Moms, I decided on who I would get my second opinion from, and I made the appointment for August 25, 2010.  After the doctor performed the routine check up, he asked if there was a reason for the visit, besides for him to meet his new patient.  I informed him that I was very concerned about his head, and I wanted a second opinion.  The entire time that I was speaking to him, he was starring at my son’s head.  He immediately asked if Kellan had had a CT Scan done of his skull, which I quickly replied no.  He expressed great concern and insisted I get a CT Scan immediately and that I needed to follow up with a Pediatric Neurosurgeon.   As soon as he said the word Neurosurgeon, I felt that I was in the twilight zone.  I heard every tenth word, at best, that came out of his mouth from then on.  I was in complete and utter shock.  As soon as I left the doctors office, I started crying my eyes out.  The nurse assured me that she would be calling me in the next day or two with the information on which office I would have to go to, to get the CT Scan done.  They first had to call my insurance and get it approved, and also ask for a referral for a Pediatric Neurosurgeon.  The following day I received a call from my pediatrician regarding the scan, and I immediately called and made an appointment for Kellan.

No comments:

Post a Comment