The journey with my son and his condition, Sagittal Craniosynostosis.

My son was diagnosed with Sagittal Craniosynostosis Thursday, September 2, 1010, and he had surgery to correct it on Wednesday, September 8th. This is my story, journey, experience...I hope this helps relieve another family, as the Sprik family did for me.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

(1) My son at birth

Kellan Pierce Foley, was born on May 22, 2010 at 3:17am.  He weighed in at 6lbs 3oz and was 17.25 inches long.  After 20 rigorous hours of labor, and 3 strenuous pushes, I was told to stop by the nurse.  She couldn’t figure out where her fingers were hitting my son, whether it was on his forehead, between his nose, or what.  The charge nurse was called in, and after a few looks, she realized my son was coming out butt first.  On Wednesday, during one of my regular OB checkups, my doctor checked me and Kellan was head down.  So, between Wednesday and Friday, he decided to flip to make things interesting. :) After I was given this wonderful news I was quickly wheeled in for a C-section.  

I might be bias, but Kellan was the most beautiful little boy.  He had gorgeous olive skin, big blue eyes…. and you could tell he was extremely peaceful.  He is such a joy to be around, and one of the happiest babies I have ever met.  After examining my son, I noticed that he had a ridge on the top of his head.  With concern, I asked the pediatrician on call at the hospital if this was normal, or if this would go away with time.  The doctor, along with every nurse at the hospital, kept reassuring me that this was a typical “breech” head.  For some reason this didn’t make sense to me, only for the mere fact that he was head down since 27 weeks, and up until 2 days before I delivered.  I was not comfortable with this answer.  

The following week we went to the Pediatrician that was recommended by my OBGYN for a regular check up and to schedule his circumcision.  The pediatrician didn’t express any concern for Kellan’s head, but mentioned he would monitor it for the next couple of months.  Again, I was never satisfied with the answers I was receiving in regards to his head.  I am by no means a doctor, but it was obvious that the ridge on the top of his head was bone, therefore how was it going to change over time?  It wasn’t.










No comments:

Post a Comment